British Columbia Ministry of Education
Start by reading the new Eligibility Criteria and Guidelines for Bursaries (PDF)
- Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French: This bursary is designed to support British Columbia residents pursuing a full-time post-secondary program in French at an accredited post-secondary institution in Canada.
- Bursary for Future French Teachers: Post-secondary students in a full time French teacher education program at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia are invited to apply for this bursary.
- Bursary for Teachers - Professional Development in French and Bursary for Teachers - University Courses in French: French teachers who attend courses, conferences and training programs to improve their French academic and linguistic competencies can apply for these bursaries. They can help defray the cost of tuition for courses taken for credit, and of tuition, transportation, and temporary accommodation for non-credit training programs.
- Odyssey: This program offers full-time employment as language assistants in second (official) language classrooms. Applicants must have completed at least one year of post-secondary education.
- ACUFC French Second Language Entrance Scholarship: The ACUFC (L’Association des Collèges et Universités de la Francophonie Canadienne) offers 25 $5000 entrance scholarships for French Second Language students to continue their studies in French. This bursary is available to students who have completed their studies in French Immersion, Core French or Intensive French and have been accepted into one of the 13 participating ACUFC schools.
Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon Teacher Award
- Since 1992, CPF BC & Yukon has been proud to offer a financial award to one or two university students completing their post-secondary education studies and planning to teach French as a second language (immersion, intensive, or core) in BC or Yukon. The award is valued at $2,000, and up to two awards are granted each year. The deadline is in May of each year, and the results are announced each October. More info
French Teacher Training in BC
- SFU Professional Development Program French Module prepares students for teaching in elementary and secondary schools in British Columbia in Core French, French Immersion and Programme francophone
- UBC French Teacher Education Program: BEd Secondary and Elementary options are available for French language teaching opportunities in Core French, French Immersion, and Programme francophone.
- Professional Specialization Certificate in Teaching French Immersion at the University of Victoria. The program is open to in-service and pre-service teachers in British Columbia and beyond and provides them with the methodological knowledge and French language fluency necessary to be a highly effective teacher in the French Immersion environment.
Language Development Opportunities
- Institut de Français, UBC à Québec Three-week immersion program for teachers offered every July in Quebec City. The program is designed to respond to the needs of all French second language teachers, both experienced teachers and those just entering the profession. Bursaries are available for BC teachers.
- UBC Continuing Studies French Summer Institutes If you are looking to make great strides in your language skills, UBC’s three-week intensive program provides an immersion experience unique in Vancouver. Bursaries are available for BC teachers.
- La Maison Française (LMF) at the University of Victoria An intensive, 5-week non-credit French immersion program in Victoria. Bursaries are also available to BC teachers, many of whom choose to take this program as a refresher course in the summer.
- SFU Bootcamp FrancoFUN In a relaxing atmosphere, this Core French Teaching Camp offers a wide range of curriculum-centered, interactive linguistic and cultural activities allowing Core French teachers to practice their French skills, network with colleagues and focus on resources (activities and strategies) for their classrooms.
- BC Association of Teachers of Modern Languages Pro-D page Visit this page for upcoming professional development opportunities for Second-Language Teachers in British Columbia.
- ACPI Institut d’été à Nice L'Association canadienne des professionnels de l’immersion (ACPI) organizes this week of professional development in the South of France each July: enjoy workshops and cultural activities in the company of engaging French Immersion experts.
French Embassy in Canada: Resources for educational institutions and teachers
- Resources for schools and universities: Develop an educational partnership with a French institution; offer training opportunities to your teachers, your students, and their parents; hire French language assistants; become a Diplômes d’Etude en Langue Française (DELF) examination centre; or involve your institution or your students in cultural and scientific projects involving France and the Francophonie
- Hiring a French language assistant in Canada: Thanks to this language assistant program, Canadian schools and universities have the opportunity to invite a French student into their classroom. These students are generally in the later stages of their courses of study and pursuing a career in education. The general objective of the program is to make it possible for Canadian institutions of learning to offer their students an open view of the French-speaking world and insight into the culture of the country of Molière, Hugo, and Zola.
- Teaching Assistant Program in France for Canadian participants (TAPIF): Find out how to acquire an invaluable experience, develop your language skills, and experience French culture by taking part in TAPIF, the program that offers teachers the opportunity to work in France for a period of seven months teaching English to students of all ages.
- Resources for French teachers in Canada: Find teaching French-language resources for your classroom, look for professional development programs, get your students involved in cultural and scientific projects involving France and the Francophonie, or arrange for an exchange with a teacher in France.
- DELF & DALF Certification:Test and certify your French-language skills with the DELF (diplôme d’études en langue française) and DALF (diplôme approfondi de langue française) examinations, or become a DELF examiner, scorer or trainer.