Every year, our Conference Committee has the difficult job of reviewing the phenomenal proposals you provide and creating a balanced, comprehensive program for our participants. If you know anyone else whom you think has experience, energy, growth, and wisdom to share, please encourage them to submit a proposal or co-present with you!
Workshops are approximately 75 minutes in length and can be about French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Punjabi, or Spanish teaching. We are also interested in workshops pertaining to methodology, assessment and evaluation, infusing Indigenous perspectives and ways of knowing authentically, teaching the core competencies in the target language, sharing of resources, and much more!
Submit your proposal, no matter what your ideas. Our members have a diverse range of professional interests, and our students have dynamic learning needs which we all strive to meet. Our schedule can accommodate single, double, or full-day workshops. We also encourage you to consider submitting proposals with co-facilitators (even if in a small part) to provide mentorship with facilitating a workshop and to help grow our second language teacher presenters for future workshops.
In exchange for giving a workshop, Presenters receive a free conference registration (excluding your BCATML membership dues), as well as an appreciation gift on behalf of the Executive! This will definitely help to reduce costs for you in order to attend this year’s conference on Vancouver Island. As well, you will be able to connect with so many other teachers and expand your Professional Learning Network!
When considering your proposal(s), we encourage you to focus on issues such as:
- how technology impacts language learning, including the use of Chromebooks, iPads, and smartphones;
- infusing Indigenous perspectives into your practice;
- updating methodologies with technology;
- using the redesigned curriculum;
- cross-curricular pedagogy;
- emerging methodologies;
- team teaching;
- computational linguistics;
- elementary French methods for K-8 teachers;
- social-emotional learning;
- inclusion in the classroom;
- growth mindset in the language classroom;
- building bridges with Indigenous culture;
- how to preserve strong language elective programs;
- strategies/activities that you have found useful;
- motivating students through art and culture in the language classroom;
- critical thinking & metacognition in the language classroom
- literacy strategies;
- high impact forms of assessment.
Submit your workshop proposal online via the electronic form on our website under the Conference tab, or by visiting www.bcatml.org/workshop-proposals.html.
On behalf of BCATML’s Conference Committee, I thank you for your willingness to share your professional growth and expertise! We look forward to seeing the variety of ideas that will be flooding in!
If you have any questions about submitting a proposal, email us at email@example.com.