Dear Colleagues (and #langchat participants!),
It’s that time of year again, and we are so excited to start accepting applications for presenters to our BC Association of Teachers of Modern Languages 2016 Fall "Celebrating Languages" Conference!
We invite you and your colleagues to submit a proposal for a presentation, workshop, or sharing session at our PSA Day, to be held at Michael J. Fox Theatre and Burnaby South Secondary School, on Friday, October 21, 2016. Every year, our Conference Committee has the extremely difficult job of going through all the phenomenal options you provide us and trying to create a balanced, comprehensive program for our participants. If you know anyone else whom you think has experience, energy, growth, and wisdom to share, please encourage them to apply to present!
Workshops can be about Spanish, French, German, Punjabi, Mandarin, or Japanese teaching, but in fact the workshops don't need to be about languages at all! Send your proposal in, no matter what your ideas: our members have a diverse range of professional interests, and our students have dynamic learning needs that we all strive to meet. Our schedule can accommodate single, double, or full-day workshops. We are also happy to consider proposals with co-facilitators.
When considering your proposal(s), we encourage you to focus on issues such as:
· how technology impacts language learning, including the use of iPads;
· infusing aboriginal perspectives into your practice;
· updating methods with technology;
· using the redesigned curriculum;
· cross-curricular pedagogy;
· team teaching;
· computational linguistics;
· elementary French methods for K-7 teachers;
· social-emotional learning;
· growth mindset in the language classroom;
· building bridges with indigenous culture;
· how to preserve strong language elective programs;
· strategies/activities that you have found useful;
· motivating students through art and culture in the language classroom;
· critical thinking & metacognition in the language classroom
· literacy strategies;
· best forms of assessment;
· methods for teaching elementary level French.
Please submit your proposals by May 9, 2016 via the electronic proposals form on our website:
Thank you so much for your willingness to share your professional growth & expertise! We look forwards to seeing the variety of ideas that will be flooding in!
Nicole Jarvis and Jacqueline Alvarado Cruz
BCATML Conference Committee
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to post:
BCATML's Exec members can add news items here. Please email BCATML president at email@example.com or your Language Rep with a news item or pro-d opportunity that you would like to share.