Date: Friday, July 7 to Monday, July 10, 2017
Location: Simon Fraser University, Burnaby Campus, BC
Eligible Candidates: The following individuals are eligible to participate in the program:
- In principle, those who are currently employed by the applying organization as a Japanese-language teacher and who will continue teaching in the aforementioned organization after their return.
* If you are a Japanese-language teacher who does not meet the above eligibility requirements but still wishes to participate in this program, please contact Ms. Noriko Saito at email@example.com.
- Those who did not complete their compulsory education (elementary and junior high school, 9 years) in Japan.
For the one-day workshop, we are pleased to welcome Ms. Stacia Johnson as our keynote presenter, who will discuss British Columbia's new curriculum. Following this, another session will be led by the Japan Foundation's newly dispatched Japanese Language Specialist, Mr. Yoshifumi Murakami.
The remaining three days are an "overnight camp" workshop, focusing on brushing up participants' Japanese skills using the Japan Foundation's textbook, Marugoto. Participants will get to try each level from A1 to B1, and through experiencing the different levels of Marugoto as "students" they will also learn about teaching using Marugoto. There will also be opportunities outside of the brush-up sessions to discuss language education in the 21st century.
Schedule: Please click here for the schedule.
One-day Workshop: Ms. Johnson's keynote session will be conducted in English and Mr. Murakami's session will be conducted in Japanese (but discussion in English is welcome!).
Brush-up sessions: conducted primarily in Japanese.
Grant Coverage: JFT will bear the following expenses in accordance with its regulations.
- Training program and necessary expenditures for participation in the program (such as teaching materials)
The participants will bear the following expenses:
- Cost for travel
- Meals during the program
Application Procedures: Applications should be submitted via e-mail to Ms. Noriko Saito (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Japan Foundation, Toronto no later than May 22, 2017.
- Please visit http://jftor.org/language/teachers/summer_training/2017workshop/ to download the application form.